Preliminary Programme 2019
Preliminary programme, Healthy Urban Childhoods 7 - 9 October 2019
Monday 7 October
17:30 Welcome reception
Venue to be confirmed.
Tuesday 8 October
9:00 Uppsala Health Summit Opening
Welcome Address: Uppsala University Deputy Vice-Chancellor Prof. Anders Malmberg, Chairman of Uppsala Health Summit Steering Committee
09:30 Time to deliver on children’s mental and physical health
The aim of this session is to achieve a common understanding for the global urbanization, the associated risks to children's health and development, and the changing nature of urban childhoods.
- Dr. Graham Alabaster, Chief Waste Management and Sanitation, UN HABITAT
- Dr. Fiona Bull, Program Manager, Prevention of Noncommunicable Diseases, World Health Organisation
- Jens Aerts, Urban planning specialist, UNICEF
10:30 Key messages to Uppsala Health Summit from children and adolescents in Sweden
10:45 Coffee break at themed tables
11:30 Workshops in parallel
- A. ECHO-Zones in practice: How to deliver evidence
- B. Listen to the kids!
- C. Supporting children's mobility in complex urban contexts
- D. City gardening and farms for learning and well-being
- E. Nature play enhanced with digital elements
14:00 Workshops in parallel continue
15:30 Coffee break
16:15 From knowledge and vision to implementation
How to gain traction for policies supporting healthy urban childhoods?
- Tim Gill, Independent scholar, advocate and consultant on childhood Child-friendly Urban Planning and Design, Insights from 12 Cities
- Roger Madelin, CBE, British Land
- Dr. Sudeshna Chaterjee, CEO, Action for Children's Environments, (ACE) India
19:00 Dinner at Norrland's Nation, one of Uppsala's renowned student clubs
Wednesday 9 October
09:00 Towards a balanced risk perception on children’s and adolescents’ activities.
- Prof. Mariana Brussoni, Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia. Outdoor play and risk is essential for healthy child development.
- Henry Mathias, NCS Strategic Lead of Care Inspectorate, Scotland. How new standards of regulation of early learning and childcare changed children's experience of outdoor play
10:00 Coffee break
10:45 Workshops in parallel
- F. Measuring segregation and child health
- G. Social inclusion and empowerment in urban planning
- H. Indicators for children’s built environments
- I. Industry-academy collaborations for healthy brain functions through physical activity
13:15 Workshops continue
14:45 Coffee break
15:15 Conclusions from workshops
Moderator Sharon Jåma in dialogue with workshop leaders on main conclusions and suggestions.
15:45 Take home messages – How to act on insights and conclusions back home?
Programme committee chair Dr. Petter Åkerblom discusses with delegates.
16:15 Uppsala Health Summit 2019 closes